Flying Dreams: Unraveling The Mystery
What are Flying Dreams?
Usually euphoric and empowering, dreams about flying can stir your emotions for years to come. Dreams of flying are among the most common dreams yet because of the profound effect they have on our hearts, flying dreams are anything but common. Flying dreams are common lucid dreams, meaning you become aware that you’re dreaming at that moment. In this type of dream, you may even be able to control the characters, environment, or narrative. Many dreamers describe the ability to fly in their dreams as an exhilarating, joyful, and liberating experience. Flying dreams are often metaphoric relating to your freedom, control, and unconscious abilities that you possess. These hidden talents are now becoming known to you, flying gives you a glimpse of what potential the future holds for you.
It is common to “remember” that you are in a dream because flying is unnatural in waking life, and you might feel strange or might also be scared. A lot depends on the nature of the dream and the relationship we have to fly. In almost every culture, flying dreams represent freedom or a release from daily pressures.
Flying is a yang male experience, action and achievement-oriented. When a woman dreamer is flying, she is up in her head and not as much in touch with her feelings, perhaps too much in her business or male yang mode. Similarly, if a male is flying, it means that he is in his thinking-centeredness and moving away from his feelings.
By PATRICIA ELTINGE in the book THE DREAM CLASS
What Does Flying Dream Mean?
Oftentimes, though, flying represents a sense of freedom, flying dreams serve as a sort of escape from the pressures of the real world (which is represented by the ground). These dreams can be purely informational in the sense that they highlight an experience we are having, but have not yet been conscious of. They may also provide actual tips on how to remedy a situation. Flying dreams can be a sign of something positive in your real life. Dreams that involve flying often mean you’re letting go of a burden of some kind, which can then lead to “the opportunity for your imagination to take flight and get a particular plan or idea off the ground. You realize you have the opportunity to rise to the challenge and liberate yourself from a situation that may have been weighing you down. Whether your flying dreams are lucid or not, all dreams are subjective, and it really depends on who you are and what’s going on in your life when it comes to interpreting and knowing these dreams. Flying Dreams may mean different things:
- Flying represents control: Flying dreams and the ability to control your flight are representative of your sense of power.
- Flying represents a new perspective: Your flying dream may be telling you to look at the broader picture. From your higher vantage point, you can gain a new and different perspective on things.
- Flying represents freedom: Your ability to fly signifies hope, possibilities, reality, and freedom of expression. It may also reflect your strong will and is a reminder for you not to give up.
- Flying represents spiritual connection: In some cases, your flying dream indicates that you have reached a higher spiritual connection.
- Flying represents escape: It can function as an escape from the stresses and pressures of your everyday life. Instead of confronting your daily problems, you take flight and try to get away from it all.
- Flying represents an inflated sense of self: When you are flying, you may feel like you are a superhero. You feel invincible and undefeatable. Perhaps you think you are better than everyone else and have a tendency to look down on others.
Why Am I Dreaming About Flying?
Flying in a dream feels euphoric—and it’s a sign that you’re feeling weightless in your everyday life, too. We’ll get a flying dream when we’ve risen above something that had previously been weighing us down, bringing us down, making life hard and heavy. We can get it when we’ve accomplished something, and we’ve realized our own power to reach our high goals. Acquiring the power of flight in a dream can mirror how you’re currently feeling in waking life – liberated, with the sense that anything is possible. Be warned, though; flying can also indicate that you’re not being grounded about a situation. There’s a difference between optimism and delusion – so it might be time for some reflection. Flying may also mean you normally feel unhappy in waking life and that you are totally out of control. Flying in most dream books represents your own ambitions, that you are “flying higher” in life. Flying dreams are generally a wake-up call to your conscious mind.
People who often experience flying dreams notice a connection to a new transitional phase in their lives. This can be mimicked as being able to take off randomly at any given moment. However, you will need to figure out if flying is relating to an internal or external happening. Not to be discouraged if you only flew for a short time, or maybe you jumped high up but landed – these dreams are hinting at not giving up and keep trying.
Types of Flying Dream
- Dreaming about the feeling you are flying: Dreams about feeling that you fly might signify your good personality. You are independent and free-spirited.
- Dreaming about taking off the ground and flying: Such a dream is a very good sign. Maybe it reveals your efforts to improve your life and its conditions.
- Dreaming about seeing yourself flying. It might indicate your need for freedom, and you will soon accomplish your desire.
- Dreaming about falling after flying:It is usually a good sign indicating you will find a solution for the problems you are currently experiencing in your life. This dream is also a sign of overcoming obstacles on the path to success.
- Dreaming about desperately attempting to fly: It might indicate your efforts to climb up the social ladder will not be successful.
- Dreaming about flying an airplane: Such a dream might indicate making the first step in accomplishing an important goal.
- Dreaming about flying over snowy landscapes: It is a sign of a successful and joyful partnership with your spouse, bringing a lot of happiness for you both.
- Dreaming about being scared of flying high. It might be indicating your indecisiveness and indifference about your status in life, your plans or intentions won’t come to fruition, or will disappoint you somehow.
- Dreaming about flying over long distances.Such a dream indicates some turbulence in your romantic relationship.
- Dreaming about a long flight. It might indicate your hidden feelings of insecurity or doubt about making changes to improve your life.
- Dreaming about flying with the help of some devices.It might be an indication of acquiring some possession in the near future.
- Dreaming about flying in the sky.Such a dream might be a sign of good or bad events in your life, but it all depends on your current state. If everything is good in your life, things will only get better after this dream. On the contrary, if all is bad they might only get worse.
- Dreaming about flying over some ruins.It might be a sign you are bored and want to do some more exciting things in life.
- Dreaming about flying over water. It might indicate the need to focus more on your business. If you don’t do that your opponents might use your inactivity and try to ruin your business.
- Dreaming about watching the ground while flying. It might be an indication of the obstacles you are encountering currently. However, they are only temporary, and you’ll be able to overcome them easily.
- Dreaming about flying being interrupted by a fall. Such a dream is a good sign, indicating good fortune and success in solving problems in your career or personal life.
- Dreaming about flying in outer space.It might be an indication of some life-changing events soon. Maybe you are not in touch with reality and with the things going on in real life.
- Dreaming about flying together with someone.It might be an indication of meeting someone soon, with whom you’ll have a passionate romantic affair, but unfortunately, it won’t last long.
- Dreaming about flying on an animal: It might indicate becoming consumed by your emotions towards someone to the point of becoming self-destructive or losing your peace.
- Dreaming about flying while in bed:Indication of something unexpected, but pleasant happening soon in your life.
- Dreaming about flying in a car. It might indicate the success of your current plans or projects. This will bring you immense joy and satisfaction.
- Dreaming about flying in an air balloon.It might be warning you to cherish and appreciate the attention someone is giving you.
- Dreaming about flying with angels.This dream is a sign of honor and respect you will probably receive soon. It is an indication of people talking very good about you and your achievements in the near future.
- Dreaming about a fantastic flying experience. If you dreamed about flying and enjoying that experience immensely, such a dream might indicate some changes in your physical appearance soon.
- Dreaming about a short flight.It might be a sign of quickly overcoming some obstacles in your life.
- Dreaming about flying with ease.If you dreamed about flying with virtually no effort, such a dream might indicate your plans for going on a vacation in the near future. This dream might also signify your feelings about a possible danger around you, which you will be able to avoid or eliminate easily.
- Dreaming about flying in a boat.If you dreamed about flying in a boat, such a dream is a sign of some unexpected good fortune in your life.
- Dreaming about some difficulties during a flight. It might be an indication you don’t have the power to control some situations in your life.
- Dreaming about encountering obstacles during flight.They can represent someone or something standing in your way in real life.
- Dreaming about flying close to the ground.It might indicate some obstacles you are encountering or something holding you down or preventing you to reach some goal. Sometimes this dream might indicate your fear of expressing yourself openly.
- Dreaming about losing control while flying.It may be an indication of your worries about finishing some important project or a goal.
Fear of Flying Dream
Since these dreams tend to be extremely vivid and the single thought of falling can bring you to the ground. Heights can either be an exhilarating or nightmarish experience. Being afraid to fly usually donates to the dreamers’ fears that have manifested in their heads. The ego is responsible for stopping you from enjoying the fruits of life, too much negative thinking stops you from having fun. If you were afraid of such a dream, it might indicate your fears from some challenges ahead. Maybe you are afraid of success. Maybe you don’t feel sure about taking new steps in some situations. You might want to examine if you have control issues or trouble letting go of the past. Maybe it’s connected to trouble setting goals too high you cannot reach:
- Afraid to take a chance,
- Need for excitement,
- Connected to your anxiety and fears,
- Letting your fears control you.
Hopefully, this article gave you an interesting insight into flying dreams.
THE DREAM CLASS is a fantastic foray into the world of dreams and very sincere effort by PATIRCIA ELTINGE to bridge the gap between our dreams and our waking understanding of these dreams. Pick this book for an interesting read especially if you are as fascinated by the meaning of dreams as us.